Sunday, October 18, 2009

Dreamcatcher

Our writing prompt that day in the group was a dreamcatcher, hanging on the wall. And oh, the wonderful memories it brought back! Quickly I was immersed in those memories of another rich experience I will never forget.

I took a trip to Tucson, Arizona, as an escape from two years at my "church from hell." (Every minister has one; just ask them.) I thought I might even be able to transfer into the Southwest Conference and serve a church there. That was not to be. Nevertheless, it was a wonderful experience, traveling into a "brave new world" for me, in the Southwest.

I drove west by myself, my suitcases in the trunk, and a faceted crystal orb hanging from my rearview mirror, increasingly catching the sunlight and bouncing it around my car. As the scenery changed, I was overwhelmed by the beauty around me.

I'd never driven this far alone and was a little nervous, but I'd had the car serviced, and had a CB radio on the seat beside me. I promised my daughter I'd drive only during daylight hours, and stop when I got tired. And check in with her every night until I arrived.

The friend I stayed with had a condo up in the hills above the city, and she took me on several short trips to show me the area. Over and over, I repeated, "I love this place. I want to stay here." The sunlight was different there, and it caught the glass angel on her coffee table, sending brilliant sparkles around the room. Just as the faceted orb on my rearview mirror had done. I'm an early riser, and I got up before my friend did, so I had my morning coffee basking in the sunlight, and stroking her beautiful cats, who kept me company.

In Tucson I learned about the dreamcatcher, as one hung over my bed during my visit. And I was introduced to southwestern architecture, and art, and textiles, and scenery. We went to southwestern museums, and ate at restaurants with southwestern food. I bought a cross stitch pattern of the Taos Pueblo in New Mexico, though I knew that it would be a challenge for my then less-than-expert stitching skills. I stayed there two months--in summertime, no less.

But the only job I was able to find was temp work. The United Methodist Southwest Conference had more ministers than they could place. Apparently my love affair with the Southwest was not unique. Many people knew what a magical place Tucson was.

So eventually I came back home to Tennessee, took a new church in Cookeville, TN, and awaited the birth of my first grandchild. But I never forgot my Southwest adventure, and every time I see a dreamcatcher, or a De Grazia picture, or Georgia O'Keefe's art work, I'm immediately plunged back into that world that I loved so much. I finished my Taos Pueblo piece and had it framed, and it now hangs in my Tennessee apartment. I know that I'm back where I need to be, but I'm very grateful for the magical two months that God granted me in Tucson, Arizona.

2 comments:

  1. Reading this piece over my cup of tea, I can hear your voice, reading it in group. In 2-1/2 weeks, I'll be in Tucson for the first time. Thanks for the introduction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clearly this is a trip that will stay with you for all time. Will you return for a visit someday?

    ReplyDelete