Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Back Again

After quite a long absence (2 months), I return to the blog. It's been a long cold winter, and I just couldn't get my writing motivation going. In writing group we missed all of February, because of so many snow days. Now the sun has returned, and spring seems close at hand. (I hope!) So after group today, I promised myself I would get back to the blog, and try to do regular additions to it. And here I am, using the leash that was on the table as a prompt, and drawing the word "change," to use or not, as I saw fit.


TRIBUTE TO TOBY

The leash makes me think of my Toby, of course. He has his leash similar to this one, which we use every time he goes out for his potty break, or any other time. We live in an apartment complex, and the basic rule for pets here is "keep your dog on a leash at all times, and clean up after your pet."

Toby has brought an important change to my life. I've had dogs and cats before, when I had my own house, but when I sold my last house and moved back to Nashville, I decided to move into an apartment. The first apartment I had didn't allow pets of any kind, and I was still working full-time, and had no time for a dog anyway. But when I retired, and moved to another complex, I chose one which allowed pets. Thank goodness for that!

Toby is my pet, my companion, my friend. I can't imagine my life without him. I talk to him, I used to sleep with him, and he provides love and companionship in my mostly solitary lifestyle.

Everyone in the apartment complex knows Toby. He loves attention from people of all ages and sizes. When we go to the rental office, he goes from desk to desk getting talked to and petted. The mail lady gives him treats, and the maintenance men play with him.

The long winter is almost over, and it's about time to spend more time outside visiting with the neighbors. We've had a hard time this winter, and we're both glad it's almost over.

What a delightful companion he's been to me. A wonderful change he brought to my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment