Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The waves come

Writing from "On the Oregon Coast," by Robert Bly



"The waves come . . .
all this fury . . .
and the ducks don't help.
Settling down in furry water, shaking
Themselves, and then forgetting it within a minute."


How do they do that?
The ducks shake themselves and then forget it.
How do they do that?
The dog shakes himself and then moves on.
When I am swamped by a looming wave,
I also try to become small, in order to withstand it.
But rather, I am flattened, and lie, gasping for breath.

I roll away, and then try to get to my feet,
But I don't shake myself and forget it.
Instead, I hang onto it,
and revisit it again and again,
relive it, and re-experience the hurt, and the pain,
over and over and over.

Maybe I think that by doing that,
I can change the outcome.
Maybe if I remember and relive,
it will end differently.
If it matters to me, how can I shake it off and walk away?
I want a different ending.
I want a more satisfactory ending.

On the other hand . . .

The emotional fury, finally faced and acknowledged.
No longer stuffed down and denied.
Maybe not healthier,
but definitely more honest.

"It is what it is."
I feel what I feel.
I am who I am.
So be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment