Saturday, August 14, 2010

Word Prompts

In writing group, the leader gave us a new word every minute. The assignment was to immediately switch to the new word and write, then switch to the next, etc. Some of the participants were able to bring continuity to their new words. I was not, but just changed directions with each.


Bread is the staff of life. Homemade bread is really the staff of life. Anyone who ever lived the hippy lifestyle made their own bread. It was a necessity. Hallie used to call store-bought bread, "muff-muff bread." I loved that term. I thought it said it all in just one term. She had an old woodstove that she used, and her food on that stove was fabulous. We were in our 20's living on Vashon Island.

Bumblebees used to scare me to death. All bees did--especially yellow jackets, wasps, and hornets. We have them around the apartment now, and I'm still afraid of them. What's the difference between all those critters? I used to get Nick to kill them for me, but now I have to do it myself. Gives me the willies to hear them buzz around the window, and the lightbulbs.

Nourish is a word that has a nice connotation. Isn't there a song that starts with "nourish"? Maybe I'm not remembering correctly. Which is the story of my life right now. Word retrieval has gotten worse and worse lately. And the worse it gets, the more upsetting for me. Getting old isn't fun, let me tell you. Back to nourish--food, happiness, love, and health.

Earth Day is on my birthday--April 22. They started it back in the hippy years. I don't know why I keep turning back to that time period. It was a happy time in some ways--very unhappy in others. It was one of the times of political upheaval--generations at odds with each other. Somewhat like now, I guess. I used to think of myself as "earth mother."

Cut is what I used to do with patterns and sewing. I sewed for myself, and for my daughter when she was little. I even made her a Holly Hobby doll and matching pinafores for her and the doll. Later, as I quit sewing so much, I would cut out the patterns, but never get them finished. That was after she grew up though. When we lived in Idaho, I made mother-daughter dresses for us both.

Give is a word I'm running out of ideas for. Give me a break. Give me some hints. Give me liberty, or give me death, said Patrick Henry. Give me some ideas. I'll give you one, if you'll give me one. Nope, I really don't give a rip this time around.
Sorry--no giving today.
Give money
Give love
Give food
Give care
Give a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment