Friday, September 25, 2009

Biscuits 'n Honey

When I was growing up in Oak Ridge, my father used to go to Monroe County (where his brother and sister and their families still lived). He knew farmers out in the country who were his sources for country ham and sourwood honey. He would go frequently on weekends and bring back these delicious foods for us to enjoy. Certainly we never bought them in grocery stores. My father was a "country boy."

When he brought in the jars (I think) of honey, my mother got out the old serving dish that came from his family and was perfect for honey. It was old glass, age worn, on a pedestal, and had a design engraved on the sides. Each time we sat down to breakfast (sometimes night, and sometimes morning), he would remind us that this was sourwood honey, the best you could get.

I loved to watch him eat his biscuits, butter, and honey. He'd cut off a piece of the comb and mash it up, mixing it with the softened butter. When it was almost gone, he would "sop" up the remains with the last of his biscuit.

My daddy was an old-fashioned man--moral and hard-working, and he loved his family, his coffee, and his country food.

At my writing group that day, the taste of honey and the comb brought back some lovely memories.

1 comment:

  1. I loved revisiting that piece. Still makes my mouth water..

    ReplyDelete