Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Gotta be perfect

Since starting this blog a week or two back, I've come to realize (and not for the first time), how difficult it is for me to "just do it." I've known for a long time what a procrastinator I am, but now I'm beginning to understand how much that is tied to some weird kind of perfectionism. Now anyone coming into my living space would find that amusing to outrageous, as a good housekeeper I am NOT. But there's a connection even there. Why start, when I can't get it all done? Why start, when I'm sure it will never be done well? Why start, when I can't do it perfectly?

Since beginning the blog, I've had all kinds of ideas roiling around in my head. (There's that word again.) From some of the stuff I've done in writing group (my father's love for biscuits and sourwood honey), to some of my childhood memories (am I the only kid who spent lots of time with a shoebox full of trading cards?) My brain jumps from pillar to post, and finally gives up in despair. What am I gonna write about? And even when I decide on something, I know I'll never do it perfectly.

So for today, I'm just throwing this on the table to chew on a while. I have an early shift to work at the library, so don't have time to ponder the question all morning. Which, in this instance, is probably a good thing.

OK, Syd and Bob, this one's for you. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Just take out your composition book and type in your piece about the biscuits and honey. Don't revise it. Don't think. Just do it! I'd love to see/hear it again. Share it with the world! (That said, perhaps I should update MY blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should never worry about saying it "perfectly" Dot because perfect is an illusion. Your conversational writing style is captivating. Go for captivating.

    ReplyDelete